- I am thankful for having thick long hair, so that when I trim it on my own with a dull pair of kitchen scissors, because I can either find the time to make an appointment or go to a hair appointment, but not both, my skilllessness doesn't really show.
- I am grateful for a biggish turnout at Pilates the other day, so that the teacher didn't really notice I was dogging it.
- I am thankful that I spent all weekend cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my family, 12 in all, not only because we have leftovers to eat this week but also and more importantly because it means my sister will have to take on Christmas. (Sidebar: grateful not to have leftover Brussells sprouts.)
- I am thankful that I live with a wonderful partner who is approximately my age, so that when I start the same story for the third or fourth time, it still sounds new to her.
- I am thankful for the kind of pleasant fall weather that means you can wear long skirts with bare legs, which means a) you can get away without shaving and b) you don't have to replenish the stocking supply.
- I am supremely thankful that a colleague canceled a meeting yesterday morning. There is no gift sweeter than the gift of an hour on a Tuesday masquerading as a Monday.
- I am thankful for payday, which can come around anytime. Seriously. A-ny-time.
- I am thankful the farmers' market is over for another year, which also makes me feel guilty because I really really love the downtown Edmonton farmers' market and I believe in buying locally and supporting your small producers, but I won't lie to you, I am already daydreaming about lying in bed on Saturday morning reading the newspaper.
- I'm thankful for the invention of the combustion engine, through the wizardry of which I can have locally produced food delivered to my door.
- I am thankful for Dr Phil and Oprah, whose TV guests make me feel better about my life, and in particular help me deal with my white liberal guilt over having local organics delivered to my door by a climate-destroying automobile.
- I am thankful that I live with a wonderful partner who is approximately my age, so that when I -- wait, did I say that already?
- I am thankful that we have a working alarm clock, and I swear to god I will remember to set it tonight.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
It's the small things
What kind of collaborator would I be if I didn't follow my lovely colleagues' generous lead and write about my many blessings? This frantic month of October, it's the small things that count.